Guided Backpacking Tours
Our guided backpacking tours take you into the heart of world-renowned wilderness destinations like the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Yosemite. Enjoy solitude and adventure as you embark on a self-sufficient journey deep into America's most stunning wild areas. You'll be carrying everything you need for the trip in a top-of-the-line, fitted backpack we provide. Pack weights vary between 25 and 45 pounds, depending on the area, the duration of the trip, the time of year, and your height and weight.
We provide everything except clothing, footwear, rain gear, personal items, and a couple small gear items. All the gear we provide (backpacks, tents, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, trekking poles, cooking gear) is top-of-the-line. Also, you can request to share a tent with others in your party or have one to yourself. All meals are included from breakfast the first day through lunch the last day, and your guide will prepare all meals.
Note: if you'd like to do a standard backpacking trip but prefer not to carry the gear, we offer porter services for $265 per porter per day. The porters can carry up to 30 lbs of guest gear and do not hike with the groups.
More About Guided Backpacking Trips
What's Included on a Wildland Trekking Backpacking Tour?
Our trips are all-inclusive! What that means is we worry about nearly all the logistis so you don't have to. We take care of necessary national park and camping permits, which can be difficult to secure. All top-of-the-line gear is provided, which includes technical, multi-day backpacks; sleeping bags and pads; tents; trekking poles and more. (It's a lovely thing to not have to travel with backpacking gear and our average guest is outfitted with approximately $1000 of retail outdoor gear!) We provide all meals from breakfast the first day through lunch the last day, and our guests rave about our meals. Local transportation is included, which often involves shuttling to/from different trailheads, a logistic that can be very difficult to arrange if not on a guided tour. Last but certainly not least, a certified, professional backpacking guide is included, and our award-winning team of guides is the best out there.
Why Join a Guided Backpacking Trip?
There are many reasons our guests join our trips. Here are some common ones:
- Some guests want to hike with a local, professional guide to increase the safety and enjoyment of backpacking in an unfamiliar area.
- Some people are new to backpacking and prefer to hike with experts for peace of mind and to learn best practices.
- For some of our guests, a specific backpacking trip (like Half Dome, Rim to Rim, or Iceland's Laugavegur Trek) is on their bucket list and they don't want to purchase all the gear and equipment to do a single trip.
- Some folks are most interested in the educational aspect of learning about the area they're hiking through.
- Some guests join our guided tours for the ease and convenience of letting us handle the logistics so they can focus 100% on enjoying the hiking experience.
- For most of our guests it's a combination of some or all of these points that they join our trips
Join a Mountain or Canyon trek?
Generally, our backpacking tours can be categorized by mountain trips and canyon trips. Mountain trips are in places like Yosemite, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain National Park, the North Cascades, Great Smoky Mountains...etc. Canyon trips are in places like Grand Canyon, Sedona, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Death Valley, Canyonlands...etc. Mountain trips feature forests, meadows, rivers, lakes, snow-capped peaks, glaciers, wildlife, and often higher elevation hiking. Canyon trips feature desert oases, arches, desert viewpoints, geological phenomena, cultural history, and wonderful winter and shoulder season temperatures. Many of our return guests alternate between mountain backpacking trips and canyon backpacking trips, experience the best of both worlds!