Iceland is an up-and-coming, world-class destination for good reason. It is an outdoor adventure mecca that also boasts cultural and culinary experiences around every corner. The country is pure magic, to say the least, and the fact that it is so easy to get to and around causes some head-scratching as to why travelers are just starting to consider it for their next vacation. Here are a few reasons Iceland should be at the top of your bucket list:
1. Outdoor Adventure:
Anyone who loves being outside will be overwhelmed with their options in Iceland. Hiking trails can be found anywhere and everywhere ranging from right-off-the-Ring-Road convenience to not-another-person-for-days solitude. The wild landscape boasts a mix of terrain including glaciers, lava fields, geysers, black sand beaches, basalt columns, and more. Pictures cannot convey the sensation of standing atop a mountain peak with a panoramic view of glaciers reaching out to the ocean, hiking behind a waterfall’s cooling spray, or strolling across other-worldly landscapes. Come experience it for yourself!
2. Ease of Travel:
A nonstop five-hour flight from the DC area is all it takes to get to the land of fire and ice; watch two movies and you’re here. It’s not any harder to get around once you’ve arrived. The country is home to just over 300,000 people, most of whom live in the capital. The small population makes Iceland navigable, inviting, and incredibly safe. Locals are friendly and usually speak perfect English, so travel mishaps are minimal. You’ll only have to rough it if you want to. Iceland has all the amenities you could ask for, including cozy accommodation, excellent dining options, and wifi nearly everywhere. Most people don’t even exchange currency because credit card machines are found just about anywhere you could purchase something.
3. Diverse Experiences:
Outdoor enthusiasts can experience out-of-this-world scenery; party-goers can partake in the crazy nightlife of Reykjavik. Those looking for a physical challenge can opt for a grueling hike; those in search of relaxation can pamper themselves at numerous hot springs and spas. Foodies will love trying all of the local delicacies; history buffs and art lovers will go crazy for the museums. Most visitors will want to do it all.
4. Year-Round Fun:
Any time of year is a good time to visit this arctic country. Summer days are filled with endless sunlight and possibility. This is a good time to do long day hikes or go backpacking. Winter is a time of peaceful solitude and nights spent watching the bright green aurora borealis dance across the sky. If you love fun in the snow, this is the season for you. No matter when you go, a trip to Iceland is a magical experience that will likely draw you back for more.
Interested? There are several ways to visit this wonderland with Wildland Trekking. Choose your trip style from the list and off we go!
- Hut to Hut Backpacking: Our hut to hut backpacking trips are point-to-point treks that utilize Iceland’s fantastic mountain hut system. Groups carry their food, clothing and personal items (as opposed to these supplies being ferried from hut to hut on our jeep-assisted treks).
- Hut to Hut Trekking: These trips are point-to-point, Hut to Hut trips that utilize Iceland’s mountain hut system and include jeep transfer of supplies between the huts so all you carry is a day pack.
- South Coast:
- Lodge Based: perfect for first time visitors to Iceland looking to have a fantastic hiking experience; explore an amazing diversity of scenery, sites and highlights; and do it in style with a high level of comfort! This tour combines stunning day hikes to must-see Icelandic destinations including glaciers, waterfalls, lava fields, geothermal features, black sand beaches, glacial lagoons with icebergs and wildlife, mountains with phenomenal views. We visit several small Icelandic villages and each evening enjoy the luxury of hot showers and warm beds in cozy lodges, hotels and inns.
- Hut Based: Similar to the South Coast Lodge Based Tour in terms of its itinerary, a Hut Based experience offers a very different atmosphere in the evening. Instead of staying in town at night, you will settle into the cozy warmth of rustic, communal mountain huts surrounded by extraordinary scenery while your guide prepares hearty dinners. If you’re seeking a balance between wild and comfort, this is the style for you.
- Camping: the most affordable way to experience the wonders of the South Coast! This tour combines stunning day hikes and village visits. Each evening, enjoy hearty dinners prepared by your guide and comfortable basecamp amenities. The best option for those wanting to connect more fully to the landscapes and natural wonders of Iceland!