COVID-19 Update & New Risk-Free Booking Terms
Current Suspensions to Operations
All Operations Suspended: Now Through June 7Wildland Trekking, Wildland International, and Wildland Llamas have suspended all operations through June 7. We have contacted affected guests and implemented amended trip terms and conditions to provide flexibility in rescheduling.
Some Tours Suspended: Now through June 30Inn-based tours and group basecamp tours have been suspended through June 30, pending direction from national parks around transportation and social distancing. Private basecamp tours are excluded from this suspension period.
Private Transportation Required: Group Backcountry Trips June 8 through June 30On group backpacking trips, porter/stock-supported trips, llama treks and day hikes, guests are asked to caravan in private vehicles to the trailhead. Wildland will provide transportation for private groups. Trips that require Wildland shuttles (i.e. thru hikes, 4x4 roads...etc.) will have measures in place to maintain physical distancing guidelines such as extra vehicles, multiple trips...etc.
New! Temporary Risk-Free Booking TermsIf you're like us, you're dreaming of your next adventure! We understand these are extraordinary times, and we want to make it as risk-free and easy as possible for you to plan your next trip. In this spirit, we have significantly amended our terms and conditions for all multi-day USA trips. The current terms are:
- $100 Deposits: Deposits are currently $100 per person for all USA multi-day trips (normally $500.) Deposits for trips outside the USA are still $500.
- 30-Day Balance Due: The final balance on all USA multi-day reservations will be due 30 days prior (normally 60 days.) For Phantom Ranch tours and trips outside of the USA, the final balance is still due 60 days prior.
- Risk Free Cancellation: If you cancel your trip for any reason before your final balance is due, or we are forced to cancel the trip due to additional closures or restrictions, 100% of your deposit can be transferred or held on account indefinitely.
Special Pricing for Private TripsWe want to make it as easy as possible for private groups and families to plan that classic American road trip in 2020 and tack a Wildland trip on along the way! For this reason we are offering a 10% discount (20% for return guests) off our private trip rates for groups of 4 or more. This promotion only applies to private trips through the end of 2020, and for reservations made after 4/25/2020.
Anticipated Opening Date and How Trips Will LookOur goal is to begin operating as soon as possible and as conditions reasonably permit. We expect to start operating in some areas earlier than others due to regional restrictions and individual national park responses.
It stands to reason that what we offer - small group hiking trips - will be a much safer travel option than almost all others, especially if guests can drive to our meeting points. We heartily recommend planning the big, fun road trip this summer or fall and joining a Wildland trip along the way!
To further maximize safety and minimize risk on our trips, we are implementing new or enhanced pre-trip, during-trip and post-trip systems and procedures. Click below to learn more!
With this in mind, The Wildland Trekking Company and Wildland Llamas have developed a set of COVID-19 trip practices. These were developed by guidance from public land management agencies, travel industry peers, the U.S. Travel Association, the CDC, and various public health experts. They utilize a layered approach of practices and behaviors which address the entirety of a trip continuum; i.e., actions aimed at minimizing COVID-19 risk before, during, and after a trip.
The below list of practices is not all inclusive, but includes the following pertinent actions:
- Updated guest packing lists are effective immediately to include all items from trip information packets, plus facemasks, hand sanitizer, and antibacterial wipes. 2-3 facemasks are recommended for a 3-6 day trip. Staff will carry extra masks for those who need them.
- Increased cleaning and sanitization of all company-shared workplace spaces, trip-supplied gear, and vehicles has been implemented. These practices include shelving certain pieces of gear for 7-plus days after use so viruses might die (rotations), laundering, and the use of diluted bleach, a CDC-recommended disinfectant for use against COVID-19.
- Any staff or guest who has been in close contact with someone known to have COVID-19, or who has experienced any flu-like symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, body aches/chills, recent loss of taste or smell) within 14 days of their scheduled trip, will not be allowed to join the trip.
During a Trip
- Physical distancing (minimum of 6 feet) will be practiced at all times unless direct person-to-person interaction is essential, in which case interacting parties will be required to wear facemasks if able. The only exception to this might be company-provided transportation of some family groups.
- Facemasks must be worn in any enclosed space (buildings, group travel in vehicles). Masks must be worn prior to entering such spaces, while in the space, and upon exiting.
- Transportation may or may not be provided depending upon COVID-19 transmission risk. In general, trips with mixed groups will not provide transportation, in which case guests will need to provide their own transportation.
- All company-supplied gear to be used solely by one guest, or possibly a family group, will be designated and labeled for use by that guest(s) only. This will include all food related items (bowls, cups, utensils), as well as tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads.
- A trash bag will be provided and designated for use by each guest. This will be for disposal of personal tissues, baby wipes, sanitizing wipes, or any other item of biohazard concern. Each guest will be responsible for their personal bag and disposing of it properly at the end of their trip.
- Dedicated hand wash stations with soap will be utilized in each camp. Hygiene, as always, will be stressed.
- Group sizes of 10 or more will be split to maintain groups of 10 or less.
- Any staff or guest who develops flu-like symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, body aches/chills, recent loss of taste or smell) during a trip will be physically distanced from the rest of the group, and from any community spaces or items. Affected individuals will be required to wear a facemask. Staff or a designated person will consult with the local managing agency for guidance on suggested management of the situation and potential evacuation of the affected individual(s). Staff will also carry extra trash bags to put affected individuals gear into. If staff are in the position of providing direct care to an affected guest, they will be physically distanced from the rest of the group for the remainder of the trip.
- Any staff or guest who develops flu-like symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, body aches/chills, recent loss of taste or smell) 14 days post-trip will be required to contact and inform us of their symptoms. If informed that anyone associated with a trip has experienced any flu-like symptoms, all staff and guests from that trip will be called to inform them, and required health professionals and/or agencies contacted (anonymity will be protected to the extent possible).
Please know that all staff have been trained in these practices, and that we will adapt or evolve practices as the efficacy and general knowledge of COVID-19 prevention strategies become better understood, or if local, state, or federal mandates dictate something different or additional.
For additional information on any of this, or travel with us in general, please call 1-800-715-4453 to speak with one of our Adventure Consultants.
How do I contact you?Hours: Everyday 9:00-4:30 MST
U.S: 800-715-4453 (HIKE)